Issaquah is surrounded on three sides by what are known locally as the Issaquah Alps: Cougar Mountain on the west, Squak Mountain to the south, and Tiger Mountain to the southeast. Most of us living in Issaquah have become accustomed to mountain driving, especially when traveling to some of our beautiful state parks. Mountain can be dangerous, however, due to its winding roads and steep slopes. We urge you to take extra precautions whenever you find ourself driving through mountainous areas and remember the following safety tips.
- Engines can tend to overheat when chugging uphill. This is why it is so important to have your vehicle's cooling system properly maintained. Coolant circulates throughout the engine and ensures that the temperature is regulated, especially in situations of high RPM. If you are driving with a faulty cooling system component or low coolant, you may find yourself in an engine overheating situation while driving in the mountains. If you do suspect a cooling system issue, the experts here at Autoworks of Issaquah can help. If you do notice that your engine temperature gauge is running high, we recommend finding a safe place to pull over to let the engine cool down a bit.
- When going downhill, try to use a lower gear rather than the brakes to slow down. In an automatic transmission vehicle, this is that "L" or "2" drive shift. This can take some of the pressure off of your brake pads and allow for a smoothly decline.
- Know how to get to your destination beforehand, especially when traveling to a park in the mountains. You may lose internet connection along the way, so relying on an internet powered GPS can be tricky.
- Keep in your lane while on the road and give yourself extra space between you and the car in front of you, just in case you need to brake quickly.
- Be mindful of posted speed limits and look for warning signs of steep grades that instruct you to adjust your speed.
- Keep an eye out for animals.
- Have plenty of gas in the tank to travel through the mountains, as you won't find many gas stations along the way.
These are just some helpful tips to follow which can help you ensure a safe drive through the mountain. If your vehicle needs auto repair in Issaquah WA, don't hesitate to give us a call here at Autoworks of Issaquah today or stop by for same day service!